It’s that time of year that we’re thrilled to hop out of the frying pan (read: indoor kitchen) and into the fire, as in firing up the grill. Yes, we’re gearing up for a super fun and easy BBQ Bash, complete with fantastic flame-grilled eats, frosty cocktails and red-hot tunes. What are you waiting for? All you have to do is head over to M&M Food Market
, choose from the wide selection that will please your hungry crowd, and get ready to show everyone the grill guru you really are! And, if party planning leaves you short on time, you can also order online and simply pick up in store. For more fun summer barbecue ideas, visit www.mmfoodmarket.com
TOP 5 GRILLING TIPS
1) Preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes before starting. A preheated grill sears your food on contact, giving it the caramelized grill flavour.
2) It’s easiest to clean your grill when it’s hot. Using a proper grill brush, clean off charred debris immediately after you've finished cooking for easy removal. A clean grill ensures great grill marks.
3) Resist the urge to poke or flip your food too much. Give the food time to sear and develop a crust.
4) A thermometer is the most accurate way to ensure proper cooking. Remove food from the grill just before desired doneness, as it continues to cook a few degrees while resting off the heat. While the meat is resting, it will reabsorb its juices so do not cut into it too quickly.
5) You need 3 tools plus a thermometer for grilling (forget those huge sets of tools that you'll never use): a good grill brush, a sturdy large spatula, and a pair of long-handled tongs.
TOP 5 ESSENTIALS FOR THROWING A BBQ BASH
1) The dollar store is the perfect place to stock up on props for setting a fun table. Condiment bottles and BBQ tools (we used grilling spatulas from the dollar store as place cards) are fun, inexpensive and creative additions.
2) Wrapping the table in a gingham fabric is a great way to set the tone for the party.
3) Set up stations to allow guests to help themselves. Ideas include ice-filled metal buckets of wine, soda and fruity drinks, a toppings station (condiments, guacamole, cheese, bacon, etc.) and even a DIY baked potato bar.
4) With unpredictable weather, make sure the inside and outside of your house are both set up for guests.
5) While you’ve got your grill fired up, don’t be shy to use it by throwing some corn and pizza on it.
10 SONGS TO GET EVERYONE FIRED UP!
Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash
Bad to the Bone – George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Light My Fire – The Doors
Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple
Love Me Tender – Elvis Presley
Burning Down the House – Talking Heads
I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen
Sparks – Coldplay
Drop It Like It’s Hot – Snoop Dogg
Bar-B-Q – ZZ Top
A GREAT GRILLING MENU
M&M ASIAN SLAW BURGERS
Looking to make a quick and easy drool-worthy dinner? You’ve found it with these Asian Slaw Burgers, deliciously meaty burgers sandwiched between zippy hoisin ketchup, spicy wasabi mayonnaise and cool and crunchy Asian coleslaw. We stopped by M&M Food Market
and picked up their Chuck Beef Burgers to make this crowd-pleasing dish.
¼ cup ketchup
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp Sriracha sauce
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp wasabi paste
4 cups coleslaw mix
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
¼ tsp grated fresh ginger
4 M&M Food Market Chuck Beef Burgers
4 hamburger buns
1) To prepare the hoisin ketchup, in a small bowl, whisk ketchup, hoisin, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce until well combined. Set aside.
2) For the wasabi mayonnaise, in another small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, soy sauce and wasabi paste. Set aside.
3) To prepare the Asian Slaw, place coleslaw mix in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, soy sauce, vegetable oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar and ginger. Toss with coleslaw and set aside while grilling the hamburgers.
4) Preheat barbecue and follow package directions to prepare M&M Food Market Chuck Beef Burgers.
5) To assemble burgers, spread hoisin ketchup on the bottom bun, top with grilled burger and Asian Slaw. Spread top bun with wasabi mayonnaise and place on slaw. Serve immediately.
WATERMELON, ARUGULA & GOAT CHEESE SALAD
Did you know that watermelon isn't just for dessert? The sweet and juicy fruit is also perfect in salads, especially in this fresh and fantastic Watermelon and Arugula Salad, a tasty combination of watermelon chunks, creamy goat cheese, peppery arugula and honey-roasted walnuts, all tossed in a zingy citrus dressing.
Honey Roasted Walnuts
1 cup walnut halves
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
4 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 cups watermelon, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
5 cups baby arugula
1 cup crumbled goat cheese
1) For the walnuts, preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, combine walnuts and honey, tossing well to coat. In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt and chili powder. Pour over walnuts and mix well. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 8 minutes. Stir nuts and continue baking 6-8 minutes more until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and let cool before adding to salad.
3) For the dressing, in a blender, combine olive oil, mint, lemon juice, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
4) To serve, place watermelon cubes, mint, arugula and honey-roasted walnuts in a large serving bowl. Toss with dressing and gently toss in crumbled goat cheese. Serve immediately.
OVEN-BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
Want to have your fries and eat them too? Yes, there's a healthy alternative to the greasy-goodness of deep fried potatoes. These oven-baked Sweet Potato Fries, creamy-yet-crisp-baked French fries that have been tossed in a Tex Mex seasoning, are super satisfying, especially when dunked in this creamy lemon dip!
2 large egg whites
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs (about 4) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips
Creamy Lemon Dip
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in olive oil, lime juice, sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, tossing to coat. Spread potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Turn the potatoes over and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown all over.
3) For the dip, in a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme and salt. Serve with baked fries.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE, BANANA & PEANUT BUTTER PIE
Elvis was able to swivel his hips and make women bawl, but really, he was just your average Joe, a guy who loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches. This pie is our hunka-hunka-freezing-love tribute to him – a simple, velvety smooth icebox pie that would surely have elicited a “thank you, thank you very much” from the Pelvis.
Vanilla Wafer Crust
1¼ cups finely ground vanilla wafer cookies (about 35)
¼ cup melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Filling
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate, melted
3 large bananas, sliced
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup cream cheese, softened
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 cups frozen dessert topping, defrosted
½ cup chocolate sundae syrup, for topping
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the crust, in a medium bowl, combine vanilla crumbs, butter and sugar. Press against the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
3) Cover the bottom of the crust with the melted chocolate and arrange banana slices on top of chocolate.
4) In an electric mixer, cream together brown sugar, peanut butter, cream cheese and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping and spread over bananas. Drizzle top with chocolate sundae syrup.
5) Cover pie with plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 3 hours before serving. For easier cutting, remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
FROSTY STRAWBERRY MARGARITA
How do we get in our daily serving of fruit? We drink it, of course. This easy Strawberry Margarita recipe is the best, a combination of sweet strawberries, tart lime, tequila and triple sec.
2 cups ice
, from M&M Food Market
½ cup Tequila
1½ oz Triple Sec
1 oz Lime Cordial
1 tbsp sugar
Strawberries, for garnish
Sugar, to rim glass
Moisten the rim of a margarita glass with lime and dip glass in sugar to coat rim. Place ice in blender to crush. Add strawberries, tequila, triple sec, lime cordial and sugar. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared glass and garnish with strawberries.