Prime Rib, Grilled Onion and Arugula Aioli Sandwich Recipe
I told Lisa I always wanted to be "stacked." I gather she misinterpreted what I meant when she produced this recipe for a mile-high Prime Rib, Grilled Onions and Arugula Aioli Sandwich. This amazing sandwich is stacked with tender, thinly-sliced Prime Rib nestled in a toasty warm bun along with grilled onions and arugula aioli. Truth is, my bosom swells with pride at her genius...one bite and I'm stacked.
Bite Me Bit
"Too few people understand a really good sandwich."
Prime Rib Roast
1 (8-10 lb) Prime Rib Roast
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
1 cup baby arugula leaves (packed tight), coarsely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp minced shallot
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Grilled Red Onions
2 large red onions
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
8-10 sandwich buns
2 tbsp olive oil
Baby arugula leaves, for topping
1) For the Prime Rib Roast, preheat oven to 450ºF. Bring roast to room temperature one hour before roasting to ensure even cooking.
2) Pat rib roast dry and make ½-inch slits over the top and sides of the roast. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Rub seasoning all over roast and inside slits. Place in a roasting pan, rib side down. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF and continue cooking approximately 2 hours, 10 minutes more, until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion reaches an internal temperature of 130-135ºF for medium-rare. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before thinly slicing for sandwiches. Note: internal temperature of the roast will increase outside of the oven 5-10ºF.
3) For the arugula aioli, in a medium bowl, combine chopped arugula, mayonnaise, lemon juice, shallot, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4) For the grilled red onions, preheat grill to medium heat. Peel the onions and slice into ½-inch thick slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on preheated grill for 4-6 minutes, allowing the onion slices to slightly char. Remove from grill, separate into rings and set aside until ready to assemble sandwich.
5) For the buns, lightly brush the insides of the buns with olive oil. Place on heated grill for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
6) To assemble the sandwiches, spread 2 tbsp of arugula aioli on the top and bottom of the toasted buns. Arrange thinly sliced beef over bottom halves, along with a small handful of baby arugula and top with grilled onions. Replace tops of sandwich buns to complete.